Available to own on Digital HD April 26 and coming to 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD May 3, is Disney Pixar's latest film, Turning Red. A love letter to our teen years, Turning Red is a unique and ambitious film that captures the complexities of growing up. Read on to learn more about the must see Turning Red bonus features.
Meilin “Mei” Lee (Rosalie Chiang) is a confident, nerdy 13-year-old torn between being her mother's perfect daughter and the chaos that is adolescence. At first Mei does not have much of a choice, her protective, helicopter mother Ming (Sandra Oh) is never far from her much to her dismay. But as if navigating school, friendships, and her growing independence isn't enough, all of a sudden her body decides to change and whenever she gets too emotional, she “poofs” into a giant red panda. Puberty has never been so fluffy.
Turning Red explores the loving, yet complicated bond between mothers and daughters while also bringing some levity to the chaos of puberty. It is an emotional and adventurous look at the teen years that is relatable for all who have lived it. Yes, even boys will also enjoy this one. Not only is the story engaging but the blending of anime with traditional Pixar realisms makes it incredibly fun to watch.
Turning Red Bonus Features
Want to know more about 4*TOWN or find out what would happen if Mei actually got to spend time with her favorite boy band? You will find all that and more waiting for you to explore when you bring home Turning Red.
- Audio Commentary – View the film with audio commentary by director Domee Shi, producer Lindsey Collins, and director of photography Mahyar Abousaeedi.
- Life of a Shot – Domee Shi and members of the crew describe the many-layered process and artistry involved in creating the hilarious Red Peony scene – from observing red pandas in a zoo to creating a storyboard to finalizing the animation and background lighting.
- Build Your Own Boy Band – Step backstage to learn how 4*TOWN came to animated life. From creating each band member’s persona to writing and producing the songs to fine-tuning the details of their stadium performance, the filmmakers reveal how they designed the ultimate boy band.
- Ani-Mei-Tion – Because Mei’s heightened emotionality is central to the story, it was important that her look and movement reflect that energy. Learn how Domee Shi led the animation team to incorporate hints of expressive anime to create Mei’s lovable, dynamic character.
- Deleted Scenes Introduction – Director Domee Shi introduces scenes not included in the final version of Turning Red.
- Intro Meilin – In this alternate opening, Ming and young Mei have their portrait taken in a studio…but Ming has her own specific vision for the photo.
- Taming The Panda – Under her mother's guidance, Mei learns techniques to control her ability to magically turn into a red panda…to varying degrees of success.
- The Debate – Mei runs for class president against frenemy Tyler, and the speeches get a little out of hand.
- Fei And Christina Hang – Mei (formerly Fei) shares a banana split while having a heart-to-heart with Aunt Christina.
- 4*TOWN Dilemma – Mei scores tickets to her dream concert, but her strict mother won't let her out of the house. What will she do?
- Roping In Leo – Pleading with Leo for help with getting out of trouble, Mei learns a couple of his closely guarded secrets.
- Easter Egg – Robutton Deleted Scene – An alternate ending in which Mei, finding herself sitting next to her 4*TOWN dream-idol Robaire on a flight to California, has some feelings.
*bonus features vary by product and retailer
Turning Red is rated PG for thematic material, suggestive content and language with a runtime of 100 minutes.